Monday, October 1, 2007

Reading Don't Fix No Chevys

This article in many ways seems to be the revolving door around curricula. All the articles that I have come across have to do with "passion" and enjoyment. It is no wonder that this survey of 48 boys had to do with the things that they enjoyed and lost track of time doing it. "Joy, creativity, the process of total involvement in life". (Csikszentmihaly, Mihaly). People strive for things like wealth, happiness and prestige according to Csikszentmihaly, Mihaly. Why aren't students looking forward to attending classes with a passion?
The Chevy essay mentioned how the young men enjoyed cooking, biking and other things. When they were engaged in it they did not want to learn anything new. It is because of this that we know how to view the challenges that individuals go through with varying lenses. These individuals felt empowered and in control.
I will never forget classes that I had and adored vs. classes that I really hated and actually I did poorly in. The more relatedness that the classes had in my life the better it was and the more I learned.

1 comment:

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

Ah, so what does this mean for us as educators and as constructors of curricula?