Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Of course I read the wrong article at first. According to Prensky's article, I thought it was a little bit unrealistic. I did like however that he was willing to allow students to immerse themselves in all the materials and lessons that they were passionate about with technology. It made me think about learning another language. WHen I really wanted to learn Arabic, I spent 3 months in Jordan so that I can practice the language. Yes, I did use a few video tapes and the regular curriculum ideas that prepared me. It was not enough. Just like it would never be enough time to cram the semester into a shortened semester. I believe that we should go with Prensky's idea and we will see that students will learn more and love the learning that they will be engaged in.

2 comments:

M. Hewitt said...

I agree that Prensky's idea of cramming a whole year's worth of curriculum into one semester is unrealistic. I think that allowing students to immerse themselves in courses that they are interested in and love is a great idea. I just think that we should not put so much pressure on students to learn so much information in such a short time. Why incorporate these classes into the curriculum for the whole school year?

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

Imagine for a moment those who could handle it...what a neat opportunity that would be. I wonder how many kids in school are bored in class because of lack of challenge or meaning?