Thursday, September 20, 2007

change

Subject: quieting the mind
I can honestly say that I have tried a few of these techniques with my students. I am a firm believer of Yoga and when you work in a high school with 3,000 students relaxation has to be in the curriculum for you and the students. Without it, we would all be stressed more than we are.
I, too, have special education students and they are on many medications at the same time. A day does not pass by without me playing classical music or mozart for my students. It is de-stressing to the students because I notice that they actually just do the work and are not as agitated as in the years before when I would not have music in my class. A few of my classes are a little more hyper than others. I make them stand and stretch and breath. We actually had a yoga group in school and many students participated after school.
It is important for us to adapt a few of Michael Fullen's theories and practices. I implement a few of them, but like everything else some things work and somethings don't. Everything goes through the implementation dip at first.

1 comment:

M. Hewitt said...

I agree that students need to have some sort of exercise that allows them to relax and alleviate stress. I sometimes play music for my kids on Fridays when we have free time or free exercises.