Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My Personal Results for Strategies Class

Strategies Class: The New Technology Era and My Results

I have to admit that this was one of the most intriguing and challenging classes that I have had and without a textbook. I am thrilled that we had to take on the challenges of a fast moving curriculum and we had to do it with our own expertise and structured guidance by the professor. I really wish that I was more computer literate. I feel that if I was I would be able to apply it better to my personal life as well as my professional life. In my personal life I would just like to do the basics like personal postcards, photos, etc.
I have come to the realization that we must be in the race in order to win and if we do not have computer skills we will never make it. I am wondering how many students, especially in urban areas are a disadvantage because they do not have computers in their classrooms that they can use to do their class work, projects, homework, etc.? It is a known fact for all of us that students do not learn well by lecture only. It has been comprehensive learning in this class from day one. I know when learning has taken place, especially in grad school when A few things occur:
• The material is applicable to the real world
• The material is something that you take to the classroom the very next day and implement it with your students because you felt empowered and confident to bring students to the next level with what you have learned.
• The strong desire to share all of your new knowledge and implement it immediately.

I took my curriculum class and implemented it in my own class especially with bogging and making the video. It was a great experience and my students were very receptive to it. A few of them have shown interest in GOOGLE, New York after my description of it from class. I am very confident with the new technology that I have just learned about and I am going in an upwards advancement with what I have learned. The class brought everyone to a new plateau in education and I hope that I will be able to keep reproducing the valuable information and techniques that I have learned.

6 comments:

Nataly said...

The urban lower-economic class schools also worry me. We all know that there is a huge disparity in resources available to school districts based on economics and I just hope that the division doesn't get sharper with the advancement of technology... Even if all schools have comparable technological infrastructures, it is impossible to level the playing field at improvished homes around this country and so I worry...
Thanks for bringing this important issue up.

Lindsey said...

This class was a challenge to me too with the assignments, but it made me work harder than I thought. I also went into school the next day and shared what I learned with my students and my colleagues because I was so excited about what I was learning. This class has and will continue to help me in both my personal and professional life!

I think the fact that your students were so excited about GOOGLE NY is great. Hopefully that will give your students the motivation to work hard to be able to work for corporations like GOOGLE or other ones.

Lindsey said...

This class was a challenge to me too with the assignments, but it made me work harder than I thought. I also went into school the next day and shared what I learned with my students and my colleagues because I was so excited about what I was learning. This class has and will continue to help me in both my personal and professional life!

I think the fact that your students were so excited about GOOGLE NY is great. Hopefully that will give your students the motivation to work hard to be able to work for corporations like GOOGLE or other ones.

Hillary said...

I'm also concerned about the lack of or minimal technology available to students from disadvantaged backgrounds. What's also difficult to deal with is the availability of technology--like computers and smart boards--that go unused or are grossly underused by districts because of the prevailing mindset among staff members that nothing new needs to happen in classrooms.

While some educators may be open to incorporating technology in the classroom and approach instruction from an altered perspective, others may need to be compelled to do so when encouragement alone fails.

Although I enjoyed the course and found it to be beneficial on a lot of levels, I wonder if I would have embraced the technological approaches used in class if I had been allowed to meet the course objectives related to curriculum change using traditional means.

Hillary said...

I'm also concerned about the lack of or minimal technology available to students from disadvantaged backgrounds. What's also difficult to deal with is the availability of technology--like computers and smart boards--that go unused or are grossly underused by districts because of the prevailing mindset among staff members that nothing new needs to happen in classrooms.

While some educators may be open to incorporating technology in the classroom and approach instruction from an altered perspective, others may need to be compelled to do so when encouragement alone fails.

Although I enjoyed the course and found it to be beneficial on a lot of levels, I wonder if I would have embraced the technological approaches used in class if I had been allowed to meet the course objectives related to curriculum change using traditional means.

LiZ Tretola said...

your comment about being in a race and needing computer skills is essential today. When computers first came out, I had no idea they would become such a necessity in our daily life. The biggest problem is, like you said, how many kids actually have at least 1 computer at home? For those of us who teach in an urban district, few students can easy access a computer. This is a problem we face every day. Something as simple as typing an essay, may seem easy to us, yet is a daunting task to others.